Capturing Rain From One of Our Sheds

Capturing Rain From One of Our Sheds
These copper rain gutters are beautiful and help harvest rainwater!

Sunday, December 11, 2011

So as I have just returned...

from a trip to Ft. Collins, Colorado, I can't help but appreciate the focus on recycling and all things green. It reinforced my belief that beautiful and useful things (such as potting sheds/greenhouses) can be created using recycled windows and other recycled building materials!

While in Ft. Collins I found myself sitting in a waiting room that had the recent "O" magazine by Oprah. There were a series of articles about women that had chosen to start various business endeavors under the "Live Your Best Life" series of articles. The one that caught my attention was titled "From Editors to Entrepreneurs" which shared the story of two women who met through editing for various publications and eventually became inspired to move on from editing to a more fulfilling endeavor. They had worked with many entrepreneurs over the years and wanted to give it a try themselves while also finding a way to give back. They started a business selling charms for bracelets and each charm was associated with a particular non-profit organization that they then donated 50% of the net income to that organization. I thought about this for awhile and realized that I too have always wanted to have my own business and to give back to society.  My volunteerism and work with various businesses over the years inspires me to do just that. My goal, as I mentioned in my previous blog, is to donate one of my first potting sheds to a program in the San Joaquin Valley that teaches children to grow plants and work ethics in order to keep them away from gangs, drugs & alcohol. Once I get my business fully up and running, I would like to donate a portion of the net income to various charities that will continue to support our children in their growth either as mentioned above or growth during or after illness, etc... There are many ways to help children get outside and grow something so that they can grow in the process!

 I continue to marvel at the intense sense of joy I get from just thinking about this fledgling business of mine and can hardly wait to see what each new day brings!

Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment